Monday, April 7, 2014

As for the three modes of communication, I realized I'm using lots more interpretive and presentational modes more than the interpersonal mode. I do give in class time to have small group discussions usually about 15 minutes. I have to keep an very close eyes on them so they don't end up speaking in English instead of in Chinese.  I can give them more time to ask questions and be more interact among them. I could have debating more in different topics.
I do make comments in Google Doc with students back and forth, to edit their writings. As for distance learning environment, I could use more of Google Hangouts to enhance interpersonal mode
with students.

2 Comments:

At April 15, 2014 at 5:25 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Dear Jiun,

I see using the Interpretive Mode more than the other modes in the novice level is very common especially for critical languages as Arabic and Chinese. Also, spending 15 out of 50 minutes in a discussion in the classroom is great.

I am also thinking about using Google Hangouts with my students, but the question I am asking myself, will the students agree to spend some of their free time to meet with their classmates and me online? I teach in a state university where most of the students work after school to make living and barely have time to do any extra work.

 
At April 15, 2014 at 11:35 PM , Blogger keai said...

Thank you for the self-reflection. To be a Chinese teacher, I have the same issue . To me, I want students who can recognize the characters and know more about the meanings of their native language. However, that is a beauty of Chinese characters and also is the most difficult part for the people whose language are not character based.
Recently, I have been thinking if there are more interpersonal activities I can provide to the class and how much time I will spend in class. Thank you for your sharing. Your post encourages me to try new things and to balance my teaching in 3 communicative modes.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home