Thursday, April 10, 2014

#TLO108

 I do enjoy having the chance to do group work using Google Hangouts. It is very new to me. Lucky for me, my partner is easy to work with, we are on the same page, and the discussion went very well. It made the work seems alot easier and also with fun.  But one of my group member failed to joint us twice already.
The blog and the discussion in Yammer is very helpful. Reading others blogs, I can always learn from them, or getting new ideas from their posting. Some times I do not have enough time to do certain work by the due day, by solving the problem, I usually have to stay up late, sometimes the quality may not be ideal.):
From Ed Dixon's webinar, I received so many information and ideas that I can apply to f2f enviornment. If I were developing group activities in DL enviornment, my biggest concerns and challenges will be "time", do I have enough time to design the course? do I have time to corret student's work? do I have time to give individule feed back in time?
Another issue would be how do I do informal  formative assessment all the time in group setting?
Jiun

2 Comments:

At April 13, 2014 at 6:13 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

glad you are enjoying the class, i do too and got new ideas.Same as you my challenge is the time, i really can't do my work and preparation assignment for my students, go to my school for my cbest preparation, and do this class work.
then i should have my house clean and full of home made cooking, lol

 
At April 16, 2014 at 7:21 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Jiun
I also agree with you that this class is very informative and fun and I am loving it too. I also find the amount of work we have to do in such a short period of time a little overwhelming. I had an interview on Monday and had to prepare for that and I did not finish filing my taxes till llate last night, so I really fell behind in this class. I have tons of papers to correct for my students too, so I am glad for Friday and Monday off at my school to catch up.
As for your concern for time to design the course, I think that it is the same in a way as preparing for a face to face class but with an advantage. Once it is up and running, it is there and you can just make revisions for the future classes, but the work is ready online and will be easy to reuse. I believe for a successful online class, you need organization and planning. If you set a timeline and set your goals, then try to stick with it the best you can. Life will always throw curves at you but don't let it discourage you, you can do it.
I think sometimes when we teach face to face, if we are tired and busy , we might go to class unprepared and wing it. On line, if you have to put the material and the lectures, you have to have it done ahead of time, so time management is key..

I agree though with you that to give individual feedback to each student might be a huge task and very time consuming, but isn't it a little advantage on face to face? Sometimes, we can't find the time to give feedback to each student in class, on line you have more time. On the other hand this could be a disadvantage, looks to me that online teachers never have time for themselves! What about their private life?
If you look on Chery's blog , she has some nice ideas about rubrics for assessment.
Reeham, I feel like you no time for anything anymore and my house oh my it is a mess now, lol!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home